Richmond Homeowners' Complete Guide To Effective Cockroach Control
December 30, 2021 - Cockroaches
What is the nastiest creature you can think of? The first thing that comes to mind for most people is the dung beetle or the cockroach. Both of these pests have an affinity for spending time in dirty areas and causing feelings of disgust in people. One thing you should know about dirty pests is that they often spread diseases. In the case of cockroaches, these pests are not just dangerous but pose many other problems for area homeowners. To help you keep these pests out of your Richmond home, here is a complete guide that may help.
Common Types Of Cockroach Invaders In Richmond Homes
Richmond is home to a few different types of cockroach invaders. The most common are German cockroaches. These smaller roaches are tan, have two almost parallel dark lines located just behind the head, and, like other roaches, have a flat, oval-shaped body and long antennae which used to find their way around. Four other roach species in Richmond that occasionally invade homes include American cockroaches, Oriental cockroaches, brown-banded, and wood cockroaches. All four of these roach species are bigger than the German cockroach and cause the same problems.
The Diseases Cockroaches Are Capable Of Spreading
There are several problems German cockroaches and other area roaches cause, like triggering asthma attacks and damaging furniture and fabrics. However, the most serious problem roaches cause comes from their ability to carry and spread harmful bacteria, pathogens, and parasitic worms. The German cockroach, in particular, can carry 33 different harmful bacteria, 7 human pathogens, and 6 parasitic worms. Some diseases these lead to include salmonellosis, campylobacteriosis, cholera, dysentery, leprosy, listeriosis, and gastroenteritis. You are most likely to contract a cockroach-spread disease by consuming food they have contaminated or interacting with an area where they have defecated.
Five Simple And Effective Cockroach Prevention Tips
If you are looking for a way to prevent the cockroaches around your home from becoming the cockroaches inside your home, you need to put in place some preventative measures. To make this simple, here are five effective and easy prevention tips to use in and around your Richmond home:
- Thoroughly inspect your foundation and around window and door frames for cracks, gaps, and openings. Seal these potential entry points using some high-quality silicone caulk.
- Address moisture issues in and around your home. Do this by eliminating rainwater buildup, wiping up moisture spills, repairing damage to your gutters, fixing leaky pipes, and using a dehumidifier indoors.
- Make sure all your indoor and outdoor trash cans are clean and have tight-fitting lids.
- After eating a meal, store all of your leftovers inside airtight containers. Do the same for pet food and opened pantry items.
- Do your absolute best to keep your home clean and tidy. Make sure when you are cleaning to wash beneath large appliances and other areas you may normally miss.
The Secret To Total Cockroach Control For Richmond Homes
If you are dealing with an infestation of cockroaches inside your home and are looking for a way to deal with these common pests, look to the experts at Mitchells Pest Control. We offer detailed cockroach identification and elimination services to handle any size cockroach problem. We also understand what attracts cockroaches to area homes and provide detailed home pest control and commercial pest control options to defend your home against a future invasion.
Call us now to learn more about our full-service cockroach control plans and schedule your Richmond home for a visit from one of our friendly and highly trained professionals.